Cleveland School’s believes that limited AND purposeful screen time is imperative to supporting the health of the WHOLE Student. While we have vastly incorporated technology over the last 3 years in our school buildings, and have a comprehensive pre k-12th grade virtual academy, we recognize that screen time is still a factor that needs to be supervised and limited. Here’s some information for our Tiger Students.
- Children Ages 8-10 spend approximately 6 hours a day in front of a screen consuming entertainment.
- Children Ages 11-14 spend about 9 hours a day in front of a screen consuming entertainment.
- Children Ages 15-18 spend about 7.5 hours a day in front of a screen consuming entertainment.
- If a child averages 6 hours a day of screen time entertainment, it would equate to roughly 4.5 years of screen time by the time the child reaches 18 years of age.
- The Mayo Clinic has connected screen time to obesity, irregular sleep, behavioral problems, lower academic performance, and violence. Some simple suggestions can be to eliminate background TV, keep electronics and screens out of bedrooms, or removing eating meals in front of a screen