In this season of change, we are working diligently to provide as much normalcy as possible. Our goal is to end our year in a manner that will continue to provide great memories, but keep our students and staff safe. Here are some updates on a few important topics
The board of education has announced two possible dates of graduation. Graduation has been scheduled for Saturday, June 20 at 7:00 pm. This event will either take place at Billy Vessels Stadium, or the Event Center. The Board of Education will make a final decision if the ceremony can proceed and where it will be held during a special board meeting on May 29. They will also make a final determination of whether or not any other safety measures such as number of attendees per graduate, will need to be implemented.
In the event the June 20 date will need to be postponed, a secondary date of July 18 has been scheduled.
May 9th Graduate Tribute
Check our website at 7:00 pm on May 9 for a video slideshow of our graduating class. While this will not come close to taking the place of our graduation ceremonies, it will give us the chance to honor and acknowledge, albeit in a small way, our 2020 graduating Seniors, on what was supposed to be their big day. A link to the video will also stay on the website for later viewing.
Cleveland High’s School’s prom has been scheduled for Saturday, June 13 at Bright Morning Farm in Sand Springs. We are very hopeful we will be able to hold this event at that time. Due to the difficulty in finding venues, DJ, and other supporting areas of a prom, we do not plan to reschedule again if we have to cancel this date. We sincerely hope restrictions continue to be lifted and we are able to hold this event on June 13.
We will not hold a Kindergarten Graduation this year. We have, however, scheduled a time for parents to bring their Kindergartener’s to the Primary School for Cap & Gown pictures. These dates are currently being planned during the week of the 25th of May. We will not be taking group pictures, but will be doing individual student cap and gown pictures. Classes will be scheduled to come during specific times, so we are able to keep the numbers down, and to allow us to disinfect between groups. More information will be forthcoming about this event in the near future.
We are in the process of setting up times for students to pick up their belongings from their lockers, and turn in any school materials such as books, calculators, athletic uniforms, etc. Currently, we plan for this to happen during the week of May 18, assuming we move to Phase 2 of the Opening Up of the State. More information will come on this event later next week.
We are still awaiting guidance on when we can reopen our facilities. We know it won’t be before June 1. Athletic programs, summer school, reading programs, driver’s ed, and Tiger Club are all programs we are hopeful we will be able to resume this summer. If it is not deemed safe for some of them to resume in person, we will work to provide them through distance learning or virtually. We certainly hope the opportunity comes soon to provide all of these programs in person, but we will wait until guidance suggests we can safely do it. I will continue to update you in these areas as I have new information.
I realize this still leaves many questions. Please know, however, we are doing everything we can to get these questions answered as soon as possible. I take part in webinars with the State Department of Education, local superintendent groups and various other organizations on a daily basis as schools all over the state are working to make the best decisions for their district and community.
I truly appreciate your patience and grace as we continue to work through this unprecedented time. As I get further information, I will continue to stay in touch. Until next time, stay safe.